World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Zikhron Moshe

Article Id: WHEBN0023220484
Reproduction Date:

Title: Zikhron Moshe  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Geula, Mekor Baruch, Shtiebel, Paysach Krohn, Street of the Prophets
Collection: Neighbourhoods of Jerusalem
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Zikhron Moshe

A street in Zikhron Moshe.

Zikhron Moshe (Hebrew: זיכרון משה‎, lit. Memorial for Moshe) is a Haredi neighborhood in the center of Jerusalem, Israel. Zikhron Moshe was founded in 1905. It is located between Meah Shearim and Geula. The first inhabitants were secular teachers. It was one of several neighborhoods in Jerusalem named for Sir Moses Montefiore.

History

Historic lintel of Lamel School

The neighborhood grew up around the Simon von Lämel school, Jerusalem's third Jewish school.[1] It was built in 1856 with funds donated by Elise Herz Lamel of Vienna, Austria in memory of her father. In 1888, management of the school was transferred to a German-Jewish philanthropic society, and in 1910, to the Hilfsverein der Deutschen Juden,[2] a German-Jewish relief association established in 1901.

In 1932, the Edison Theater was built on a vacant lot in Zikhron Moshe that later became Yeshayahu Street. It was named for Thomas Edison, who invented the first movie projector. The theater was the first its kind in Jerusalem. Yves Montand and other acclaimed performers appeared there, and it was the venue for concerts of the pre-state Philharmonic Orchestra.[3]

Later development

Throughout the years, the neighborhood became increasingly religious and is now the southernmost part of the main Haredi part of the city, adjacent to Geula which is the commercial heart of the Haredi city section.

References

  1. ^  
  2. ^ , David KushnerPalestine in the Late Ottoman Period: Political, Social, and Economic Transformation
  3. ^ Guide to Jerusalem Buildings

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.