World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

West Rouge

Article Id: WHEBN0006482350
Reproduction Date:

Title: West Rouge  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Port Union, Toronto, Scarborough, Toronto, Rouge River (Ontario), Toronto Neighbourhoods, List of city-designated neighbourhoods in Toronto
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

West Rouge

West Rouge
Neighbourhood
Coordinates:
Country  Canada
Province  Ontario
City Toronto
Community Scarborough
Changed Municipality 1974 Scarborough from Pickering, Ontario
1998 Toronto from Scarborough
Government
 • MP Corneliu Chisu (Pickering—Scarborough East)
 • MPP Wayne Arthurs (Pickering—Scarborough East)
 • Councillor Ron Moeser (Ward 44 Scarborough East)

West Rouge is a small community neighbourhood in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is located in the south-east corner of Toronto, within the former suburb of Scarborough. The community is roughly bounded by Lake Ontario to the south, the Rouge River to the east, Port Union Road to the west and Kingston Road to the north.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Schools 2
    • Public 2.1
    • Catholic 2.2
  • Sports 3
  • External/reference links 4

History

The area was recorded as being settled as early as 1798, when a crown patent for lots 29, 30, 32 & 33, "Con. 1 with the Broken Front, Township of Pickering, County of York and Home District, Province of Upper Canada", were granted to William Holmes, Esquire. In 1843 Henry Cowan, an immigrant from Ayr, Scotland, bought lots 32 & 33 from Holmes and settled the land with his family. In 1848 Cowan sold a small portion of his land on the shores of Lake Ontario to the Grand Trunk Railway Company.

In the years following, much of the land was sold. In 1948, the land that is now a new housing development between Rouge Hills Dr. and Ridgewood was sold to Rouge Hills Golf and Country Club Limited. The country club and golf course were closed in 1973.

Until 1974 West Rouge was not part of Toronto or Scarborough, but was considered part of the township of Pickering. When Ontario County was reorganized as Durham Region that year, it was transferred to the then-borough of Scarborough.

Schools

Public

Most of the schools in the area were under the Ontario County Board of Education (now Durham District School Board) before 1976 when the area was still part of Pickering. In 1976 the schools in the area were transferred to the then Scarborough Board of Education.

  • West Rouge Jr PS (website) - opened 1954
  • William G Davis Jr PS (website) - opened 1967
  • Centennial Road Jr PS (website) - opened 1946
  • Joseph Howe Sr PS (website) - opened 1977
  • Charlottetown Jr PS (website) - opened 1967
  • Sir Oliver Mowat CI (website) - opened 1971

Catholic

  • St. Brendan Catholic School (Elementary K-8) (Website) - was in the Ontario County Catholic Board (now Durham Catholic District School Board) in 1972 and to Metro Toronto Separate School Board after 1976.

Sports

The West Rouge community is also the home of a large soccer club, Known as West Rouge Storm. Having both house league and rep soccer teams, for both boys and girls.

External/reference links

  • West Rouge Community Website
  • History of the West Rouge Community Centre
  • West Rouge Community Association Website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.