World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Poseidon (ARL-12)

Article Id: WHEBN0006540902
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Poseidon (ARL-12)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: USS Antigone (AGP-16), USS Colington (AG-148), USS Pontus (AGP-20), USS Brontes (AGP-17), USS Accomac (APB-49)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Poseidon (ARL-12)

USS Achelous (ARL-1)
USS Poseidon (ARL-12) at anchor off Okinawa, c. 1945.
History
United States
Name: USS Poseidon
Builder: Boston Navy Yard
Laid down: 10 July 1944
Launched: 24 August 1944
Commissioned: 13 February 1945
Struck: 1 July 1961
Fate: Unknown
General characteristics
Class & type: Achelous class repair ship
Displacement: 4,100 long tons (4,166 t)
Length: 328 ft (100 m)
Beam: 50 ft (15 m)
Draft: 14 ft (4.3 m)
Speed: 12 knots (14 mph; 22 km/h)
Complement: 253 officers and enlisted men
Armament:
  • 8 × 40 mm cannon
  • 8 × 20 mm cannon

The USS Poseidon (ARL-12) was one of 39 Achelous-class landing craft repair ships built for the United States Navy during World War II. Named for Poseidon (the Greek god of the sea), she was the only ship U.S. Naval vessel to bear the name.

Her keel was laid down as LST-1037 by the Boston Navy Yard in Boston, Massachusetts, on 10 July 1944. She was renamed Poseidon and given hull classification symbol ARL-12 on 12 June 1944; launched on 24 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Nora T. Twomey; and placed in reduced commission on 22 September 1944. Following initial commissioning, Poseidon steamed south to Baltimore, Maryland, where she decommissioned and completed conversion to a landing craft repair ship. Commissioned in full 13 February 1945, she completed shakedown in Chesapeake Bay and, assigned to ServRon 10, sailed for Ulithi, thence, in early June, to Okinawa. There, at Kerama Retto and at Buckner Bay, she repaired landing and patrol craft until the cessation of hostilities. Ordered back to the United States after World War II for inactivation, she decommissioned on 30 November 1946 and was berthed with the Columbia River Group of the Pacific Reserve Fleet. She remained a unit of that group until struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 1 July 1961.

She was sold 3 November 1961 to the Marine Power and Equipment Company of Seattle, Washington. Her final fate is unknown.

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.