World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Tyritake

Article Id: WHEBN0007838666
Reproduction Date:

Title: Tyritake  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Fish preservation, Greeks in Ukraine, Greeks in Russia and the Soviet Union, Sukhumi
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Tyritake

Tyritáke
Τυριτάκη (Ancient Greek)
An ancient basin for fish preservation
Tyritake is located in Crimea
Tyritake
Shown within Crimea
Location Kerch, Autonomous Republic of Crimea/Republic of Crimea, Ukraine/Russia
Region Taurica
Coordinates
Type Settlement
Area 50 ha (120 acres)
History
Builder Settlers from Miletus
Founded 7th or 6th century BC
Abandoned Approximately 370 AD
Periods Archaic Greek
Cultures Greek
Site notes
Condition Ruined
Ownership Public
Public access Yes

Tyritáke (Greek: Τυριτάκη) was an ancient Greek town of the Bosporan Kingdom, situated in the eastern part of Crimea, about 11 km to the south from Panticapaeum. It is tentatively identified with the ruins in the Kerch district of Kamysh-Burun (Arshintsevo), on the shore of the Cimmerian Bosporus.

There are only few short mentions about Tyritake in ancient literary sources (Stephanus of Byzantium, Ethnika 642, 12; Pseudo - Aelius Herodianus, De prosodia catholica 315.12; Claudius Ptolemy, Geography 3.6.3.2; Ps. Arrian, Periplous Ponti Euxini 50,9 and Gaius Plinius Secundus, NH 4, 86-87 who names the city as Dia). First serious excavations, started in 1932 (headed by J. Marti) and have been followed in 1946-1957 by great Bosporan Expedition headed by prof. V. Gaidukievich. In 70s and 80s the territory of Tyritake was excavated by an expedition from the Kerch Museum headed by D. Kirilin and O. Shevelev and since 2000 the project "Bosporan City Tyritake" directed by prof. V. Zin'ko. In 2008 the Polish Archaeological Mission Tyritake of National Museum in Warsaw, with Alfred Twardecki as director, joined the project.

All these archaeological projects were able to establish that the colony, founded about the mid-6th century BC, specialized in crafts and viticulture. In the first centuries AD, fishing and wine production became the economical mainstay of the town. Tyritake was sacked by the Goths in the 3rd century AD and again in the 4th century by the Huns, but a settlement on the site continued into the Middle Ages.

References

  • (Russian) Tyritake on the official website of the Crimean government
  • (English) - Site of Polish Archaeological Mission "Tyritake"

Bibliography

  • (English) - Tyritake, Antique Site at Cimmerian Bosporus, ed. A. Twardecki, Warsaw 2014
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.