World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Tallahassee Female Academy

Article Id: WHEBN0012153653
Reproduction Date:

Title: Tallahassee Female Academy  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: History of Florida State University, Public universities, Tallahassee, Florida
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Tallahassee Female Academy

West Florida Seminary building (now Florida State University) called the female academy circa 187-. This building was located on Park Avenue between Duval and Bronough Streets

The Tallahassee Female Academy (also known as the Leon Female Academy) was one of the predecessor institutions of Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida. The school started in 1843 as the Misses Bates School and was perhaps the most stable educational institution in Tallahassee until the West Florida Seminary officially began operations in 1857.

A group of Tallahassee citizens organized as a Board of Trustees for the Academy conducted operations until the school was absorbed by the West Florida Seminary in 1858. The school offered an unusually complete education for the time.[1]

Notes and references

  1. ^ "Since 1844 a group of citizens, incorporated as a Board of Trustees had conducted a Female Academy which offered an unusually complete education for girls"
    William George Dodd, History of West Florida Seminary(1952)

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.