World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Schwabach

Article Id: WHEBN0001096499
Reproduction Date:

Title: Schwabach  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Philipp Tschauner, Walter Wolfrum, Bavaria, Jean-Philippe Baratier, Rednitz
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Schwabach

Schwabach
Market square
Market square
Coat of arms of Schwabach
Coat of arms
Schwabach   is located in Germany
Schwabach
Schwabach
Coordinates:
Country Germany
State Bavaria
Admin. region Mittelfranken
District Urban district
Government
 • Lord Mayor Matthias Thürauf (CSU)
Area
 • Total 40.71 km2 (15.72 sq mi)
Population (2013-12-31)[1]
 • Total 39,546
 • Density 970/km2 (2,500/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 91101–91126
Dialling codes 09122, 0911
Vehicle registration SC
Website www.schwabach.de

Schwabach is a German town of about 40,000 inhabitants near Nuremberg, in the center of the region of Franconia in the North of Bavaria. The city is an autonomous administrative district (kreisfreie Stadt). Schwabach is also the name of a river which runs through the city prior joining the Rednitz.

Schwabach is famous for its crafts made of gold, and particularly gold foil. In 2004, Schwabach celebrated this tradition with an anniversary festival marking "500 years gold foil in Schwabach".

Around the year 1500 a local typesetter developed the "Schwabacher" font. This font was used for printing the first bible in German translation, which had been worked out by Martin Luther.

Schwabach is also the birthplace of composer Adolf von Henselt, the botanist Johann Gottfried Zinn, the biologist Ralf Baumeister and one of the developers of mp3, Bernhard Grill. It was often visited by Albrecht Dürer.

Etymology

The name derives from the old Franconian name Suapaha (later Suabaha, then Villa Suabach) which translates as "Schwaben-Bach" in modern German, which means "Swabian stream", the first part of the name was given by the Franconians who came to the area about a millenea after the Hallstatt culture to the people living on the banks of that stream, which were perceived as "Swabians" by them, while the second part of the name is a reference to the stream which flows through town.

Timeline

The gold roof of the Schwabach town hall
  • 750 B. C. – A. D. 500: BCE Archaeological evidence of settlement.
  • 600–700: Name Schwabach first used to refer to the settlement and the river.
  • 1346: City wall built.
  • 1371: Municipal law established.
  • 1469: Town church built (still in use).
  • 1500: (ca.) Schwabacher font invented.
  • 1528: City hall built (still in use).
  • 1633: First needle factory established in Schwabach.
  • 1723: Schwabach river flooded to highest point ever. Markings of the flood are still visible.
  • 1768: The landmark Old Linden Tree planted (still there).
  • 1792: Schwabach became part of Prussia.
  • 1797: Goethe stayed overnight in Schwabach.
  • 1806: Schwabach became part of Bavaria.
  • 1849: Railway station built.
  • 1941: Schwabach bombed in World War II
  • 1945: American military base established in Schwabach.
  • 1953: City coat-of-arms introduced.
  • 1972: Schwabach became an autonomous administrative district.
  • 1975: Partner-city relationship with Les Sables d'Olonne established.
  • 1980: Schwabach receives the European Union prize for cultural heritage.
  • 1992: US Army to be withdrawn from
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.