World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Saint-Vincent-de-Paul church, Paris

Article Id: WHEBN0028527173
Reproduction Date:

Title: Saint-Vincent-de-Paul church, Paris  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: François Rude, Aristide Cavaillé-Coll, Jean-Hippolyte Flandrin, Jacques Ignace Hittorff, Léon Boëllmann
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Saint-Vincent-de-Paul church, Paris

The Church of Saint-Vincent-de-Paul (Église Saint-Vincent-de-Paul) is a church in the 10e arrondissement of Paris dedicated to Saint Vincent de Paul. It gives its name to the Quartier Saint-Vincent-de-Paul around it.


The church was built during 1824–44, on the site of the ancient Saint-Lazare prison enclosure. In that enclosure had been sited the Maison Saint-Lazare, occupied by Vincent de Paul— it was here that he lived and worked— and afterwards by the Congrégation de la Mission, from 1632 to 1793.

The church's design and the initial phases of its construction were entrusted to Jean-Baptiste Lepère, a French architect of modest reputation. The first stone was laid in August 1824 in the presence of the préfet de la Seine Gaspard de Chabrol and the archbishop of Paris Mgr de Quélen. Work proceeded slowly, and was repeatedly abandoned, being especially delayed thanks to a lack of credit as a result of the 1830 Revolution. Thus it was Lepère's son-in-law, Jacques Hittorff, who finally followed the project through from 1831 to 1844. The building opened for worship on 25 October 1844.

Hittorff massively modified the initial plans (which did not plan for even one tower), with his church opening onto the Place Franz-Liszt, giving the building a church square. He also added a system of ramps, laid out today in gardens, to aid access by horse-drawn carriages.

The church's basilical plan evokes several grand schemes of religious architecture without specifically copying one in particular. Above the portico (borrowed from those of Greek temples) is a pediment sculpted by Charles-François Lebœuf-Nanteuil on the subject of "The Apotheosis of Saint Vincent-de-Paul": the saint is glorified, surrounded by figures symbolising his saintly actions— a missionary, a galley slave, and some Daughters of Charity devoting themselves to children or to healing the sick. Inside, the painted frieze of 1848–53 around the nave (between the two levels of columns) is by Hippolyte Flandrin, and shows 160 male and female saints advancing towards the sanctuary. The decoration of the Lady Chapel, in the apse added later at the back, is by William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1885–89). The Calvary shown on the main altar is by François Rude.

The building suffered during the Paris Commune: the bell towers were hit by seven shells, and the terrace and ramps by more than twenty, all fired from the Père Lachaise Cemetery.

The Church of Saint-Vincent-de-Paul is close to the Eurostar and mainline station Gare du Nord, and so is twinned with St Pancras Old Church (a church in London close to the new St Pancras International station). This twinning was inaugurated on 11 December 2007 with a bilingual service at St Pancras Old Church.[1]


The church has two organs: a great organ and an orgue du choeur. The church's titular organists have included Louis Braille, better known for the Braille tactile writing system for the blind, Léon Boëllmann and Jean Costa. The current organist is Pierre Cambourian.

The church's great organ is made up of:

  • 4 manual and pedal keyboards
  • 66 stops
  • 4,949 pipes
  • Electric operation of the keyboards and stops

It was made in 1852 by the renowned organ builder Aristide Cavaillé-Coll, after whom the square behind the church is named. Originally it was only made up of 47 stops over 3 keyboards and 2,669 pipes.


External links

  • This page is a translation of Église Saint-Vincent-de-Paul de Paris on French World Heritage Encyclopedia.
  • , p105
  • (French) L'Internaute Magazine: Diaporama
  • (French) a view of the church's interior.
  • (French) Organs of Saint-Vincent-de-Paul

Coordinates: 48°52′44″N 2°21′07″E / 48.87889°N 2.35194°E / 48.87889; 2.35194

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.