World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Ráckeve

Article Id: WHEBN0006432143
Reproduction Date:

Title: Ráckeve  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Szigetszentmiklós, Halásztelek, Serbs in Hungary, Budin Eyalet, Kiskunlacháza
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Ráckeve


Ráckeve (Serbian: Српски Ковин) is a town on Csepel Island in the county of Pest County, Hungary. Its residents are Magyars, with minority of Serbs.

The Serbian Kovin Monastery, the oldest in Hungary and one of two in the Diocese of Buda of the Serbian Orthodox Church, was built in 1487 in the centre of Ráckeve. Also in central Ráckeve is the Savoy Castle of Prince Eugene of Savoy, built in the baroque style in 1702–50.

History

The town hall of Ráckeve
Serb Orthodox Church From Year 1487.
Serb Orthodox Church Paintings

After the Árpád dynasty was established, the region of today's Ráckeve belonged to the Hungarian king.

In the Middle Ages, there was a settlement here called Ábrahámtelke, and also a monastery built in the 12th century, mentioned in official document in 1212 the first time.

In the 15th century many Serb refugees came from the South, fleeing the invasions of the Ottoman Turks. In this time, the settlement was called Kiskeue, that is to say "Kiskeve" in modern Hungarian. Kiskeve means "Little Keve" in English, and the Serbs in the town called it Mali Kovin = "Lesser Kovin", or Gornji Kovin ("Upper Kovin") in contrast with the name of other Kovin (Donji Kovin / "Lower Kovin") in the South, where the Serbs had fled from.

In the 16th century, Ráckeve was a respectable mercantile town. The Calvinist variant of Reformation was spread in the town by Szegedi Kis István.

In 1541, the town fell under Ottoman rule, and most of its population fled towards North. Many Serbs who used to live in the town settled in Győr and Komárom. Those who stayed in the town elected a "duke" called Đurđe (1543–46). In 1567, the town was populated by (mostly Calvinist) Hungarians and Serbs.

In 1698, after the expulsion of the Turkish, the whole of Csepel Island (Csepel-sziget), and thus Ráckeve too, became the land of the victorious Prince Eugene of Savoy. The new landlord had his mansion built in this settlement; it can be visited by prior appointment.

In the 18th century, the arrival of German settlers increased the number of inhabitants in the town. Thus the settlement became a tri-ethnic location with Hungarians, Serbs and Germans. Their descendents still refer to the place as Srpski Kovin or Ratzenmarkt.

The end of the 19th century, the Millennium period represented a great upswing in the life of the town. At that time, the original wooden bridge was replaced by a permanent iron bridge and the decision was taken to build a new town hall, which was later erected in the Secession style on the site of the original.

A renowned angling paradise, Angelic Island divides the Danube branch here. The holiday resort areas have been developed in the 1970s, at the same time the hot water spa and lido were also established. City status was granted again to Ráckeve in 1984.

Name

The Name of Ráckeve in today's form derives from the Hungarian words rác and keve.

Rác is a name formerly used in Hungarian to designate Serbs, who lived, among other, in the medieval Serbian state of Rascia at the time Hungarians first met the Serbs.

Keve means cemetery in medieval Hungarian. In pre-modern Hungarian it also meant little stone, or pebble, that was put on tombs. There is also a theory that the word keve is of Hunnic origin and it was the name of one of the leaders of Attila in the 4th century. Since the 19th century, the name Keve has been used as a personal name among Hungarians, due to the traditional theories among Hungarians on Hun-Hungarian historical relations.

The Serbs named the place after the town of Kovin in Banat (Vojvodina in Serbia) whence most inhabitants had fled to settle in Ráckeve. In Serbian, Ráckeve is known as Горњи Ковин / Gornji Kovin ("Upper Kovin"), Мали Ковин / Mali Kovin ("Lesser Kovin"), or Srpski Kovin / Српски Ковин ("Serbian Kovin"). This is to contrast it in Serbian language with the name of the original town in Vojvodina, known as just Kovin in Serbian and Keve in Hungarian.

The Serbian word Kovin comes from the root "ков-" / "kov-" = "smith" (cf. ковач / kovač = ironsmith; ковница / kovnica = "copper mint" кованица / kovanica = "coin" потковица / potkovica = "horseshoe" etc.)

Sights

Ráckeve is famous for the only Gothic style Serb Orthodox Church in Hungary from the 15th century.

The Catholic church was designed by Patay László. The Fresco-secco in the church is worth seeing.

The Calvinist church is built in neo-gothic style in 1913.

There is also an Árpád Museum.

There is Hungary's only authentic old Ship mill. It was built only from donations and operated by "Ráckevei Molnár Céh" (Ráckeve Miller Guild). This is the most visited attraction in the city.

Savoy Castle

The Savoy Castle of Prince Eugene of Savoy in central Ráckeve was built in the baroque style in 1702-1750.

Twin towns — Sister cities

Ráckeve is twinned with:

Notable people

References

  • Dr. Dušan J. Popović, Srbi u Vojvodini, knjige 1-3, Novi Sad, 1990.

External links

  • Rackeve, Hungary Page
  • Ráckeve, Hungary, Home page of the town
  • Home page of the Ship Mill of Rackeve
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.