World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Playter Estates

Article Id: WHEBN0003737206
Reproduction Date:

Title: Playter Estates  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Pape Village, Riverdale, Toronto, Toronto Neighbourhoods, Uptown Toronto, Fashion District, Toronto
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Playter Estates

Playter Estates
Neighbourhood
Looking east down Hurndale Avenue, a residential street in Playter Estates.
Looking east down Hurndale Avenue, a residential street in Playter Estates.
Vicinity
Vicinity
Playter Estates is located in Toronto
Playter Estates
Location within Toronto
Coordinates:
Country  Canada
Province  Ontario
City Toronto

Playter Estates is an area in the east end of Toronto, Canada bounded by Jackman Avenue to the east, the Don River Valley to the west, Danforth Avenue in the south, and Fulton Avenue in the north. The neighbourhood is built on land once owned by the Playter family for whom two streets in the area are named. The old farmhouse of the Playter household at 28 Playter Crescent is now the Playter Mansion, which is often used for various films, television shows, and commercials.

The neighbourhood is historically Greek, but is increasingly popular among artists and business professionals. The advent of Taste of the Danforth, a weekend long celebration of Danforth Avenue cuisine and culture, has made the area far more popular in recent years.

Although the increasing home prices in the community cater to the upper-middle class, the neighbourhood still tends to lean to the Left-wing politics of the political spectrum, mainly supporting New Democratic Party candidates in provincial and federal elections. The area is also home to comedian and CBC series host Rick Mercer.

Playter family

Surrey and died around 1820-1822 in what is now Toronto. He emigrated from England to Pennsylvania, where he married Elizabeth Welding. During the American Revolution, he seized military documents for the British and was granted a commission as a Loyalist captain. He moved with his family first to Nova Scotia, then Kingston in 1783, then finally to Toronto in 1793, where Lieutenant Governor Simcoe, to whom he may have been related by marriage, granted him 2000 acres (8 km²) of land in York Township. He built a house, Drumsnab, on what is now Drumsnab Road near about Castle Frank.

According to his son Ely's diary, George was captured at Drumsnab in 1813 by American troops looking for munitions, provincial archives and militia officers, but was quickly released. George had at least three daughters (Elizabeth, Sarah, Mary) and five sons (John, James, Ely, Watson and George), and is remembered today mainly as the progenitor of the family that gave its name to the Playter Estates neighbourhood.

Ely was an MPP. His son John married Sarah Ellerbeck, for whom Ellerbeck Street is named. John's grandson John Lea Playter built the farmhouse at 28 Playter Crescent, the lands surrounding which were subdivided by 1912 to form the Playter Estates. Jackman Avenue is named for John Lea Playter's wife Mary Jackman. George Playter Jr. ran the first stage coach line between Newmarket and York along Yonge Street.

Aerial Photograph of the area, 1942

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.