World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Motane

Article Id: WHEBN0001508136
Reproduction Date:

Title: Motane  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Marquesas Islands
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Motane

Coordinates: 9°59′02″S 138°49′47″W / 9.9838°S 138.8296°W / -9.9838; -138.8296

Mohotani
Country France
French Polynesia
Archipelago Marquesas Islands
Region South Pacific Ocean
Area 15 km²
Coastline km
Highest elevation
m
Population

 - Density
ppl.

ppl./km²

Mohotani (sometimes spelt Moho Tani; also called Molopu or Motane) is an uninhabited island southeast of Hiva Oa and east of Tahuata in the southern Marquesas Islands. It has an area of 15 km². Much of the island's sparse vegetation has been destroyed by feral goats and sheep, to the extent that following its rare rains, the sea around it is stained red from runoff. Early reports describes the island as fertile, with forest and fields. When Thor Heyerdahl visited the island in 1938, there were only a few goats and remains of deserted huts and villages.

Mohotani is administratively part of the commune (municipality) of Hiva-Oa, itself in the administrative subdivision of the Marquesas Islands.


It is reported that at one time the island was inhabited by a clan called the “Moi a Tiu”, but that population has long since been wiped out by disease and war, the few survivors having departed for Hiva ʻOa. In pre-European times, the island was considered part of the territory of the province of Pepane.

In 1992, the island and its surrounding smaller islands (including Terihi) were officially protected by the declaration of the Motane Nature Reserve.

History

The first recorded signting of Mohotani by the Europeans was by the Spanish expedition of Álvaro de Mendaña on 21 July 1595. They charted it as San Pedro.[1]

See also

References

Resources

  • Christian, F.W. Eastern Pacific Lands, Tahiti and the Marquesas Islands. London, 1910.
  • Heyerdahl, Thor: Fatuhiva


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.