World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Monte San Savino

Article Id: WHEBN0002293028
Reproduction Date:

Title: Monte San Savino  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: A.C. Sansovino, Lucignano, Bucine, Marciano della Chiana, Giulio Salvadori
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Monte San Savino

Monte San Savino is a town and comune in the province of Arezzo, Tuscany (Italy). It is located on the Essa stream in the Valdichiana. Several of its frazioni occupy higher hills, like Gargonza and its castle at 560 metres (1,840 ft) and Palazzuolo at an elevation of 600 metres (2,000 ft).

History

Monte San Savino was one of the first urban settlements in Tuscany, Italy. It originated around 1100, but a further century had to pass before Monte San Savino could be considered a centre of a certain social, political and cultural importance of Tuscany in those times.

Main sights

  • Palazzo di Monte
  • Logge dei Mercanti
  • Palazzo Pretorio
  • Cassero
  • Church of Santi Tiburzio and Susanna (13th century), at Gargonza, housing Tuscan Renaissance paintings.
  • Church of the misericordia (1175, rebuilt in 1749). Its organ is one of the most ancient in Italy.
  • Convent of Sant'Agostino (early 14th century, enlarged in the 16th century). It has a cloister from 1532. Both the church and the cloister were renovated by Giorgio Vasari.
  • Sanctuary of Santa Maria delle Vertighe, rebuilt in the 16th century. It houses a fresco of the Virgin Enthroned with Child by Margaritone d'Arezzo.
  • OPEM Chainsaws Inc.

Notable people



This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.