World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Lugo, Emilia-Romagna

Article Id: WHEBN0006534731
Reproduction Date:

Title: Lugo, Emilia-Romagna  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Charles Ponzi, Italo Zingarelli, Fabio Taglioni, Ilario Bandini, List of meteor air bursts
Collection: Castles in Italy, Cities and Towns in Emilia-Romagna
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Lugo, Emilia-Romagna

Lugo
Comune
Città di Lugo
The Este Castle.
The Este Castle.
Coat of arms of Lugo
Coat of arms
Lugo is located in Italy
Lugo
Lugo
Location of Lugo in Italy
Coordinates:
Country Italy
Region Emilia-Romagna
Province Ravenna (RA)
Frazioni Ascensione, Belricetto, Bizzuno, Ca' di Lugo, Campanile, Chiesanuova, Ciribella, Giovecca, Malcantone, Passogatto, San Bernardino, San Lorenzo, San Potito, Santa Maria in Fabriago, Torre, Villa San Martino, Viola, Voltana, Zagonara
Government
 • Mayor Raffaele Cortesi (since 2004-06-13)
Area
 • Total 116 km2 (45 sq mi)
Elevation 15 m (49 ft)
Population (30 June 2009)
 • Total 32,770
 • Density 280/km2 (730/sq mi)
Demonym(s) Lughesi
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 48022
Dialing code 0545
Patron saint St. Hilary of Galeata
Saint day May 15
Website Official website

Lugo is a town and comune in the northern Italian region of Emilia-Romagna, in the province of Ravenna.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Main sights 2
  • Notable people 3
  • Twin towns 4

History

A settlement in where is now the city is mentioned for the first time in 782 AD, but the names Lucus appears only in 1071. In 1161 it was a fief of the Counts of Cunio, but in 1202 it returned to the Papal States. It was later a possession of the Da Polenta, Pepoli, Visconti and Este; the latter maintained it until 1597, when the city was again annexed to the Papal States.

In 1424 the Castle of Zagonara (now destroyed) was the seat of the homonymous battle, in which a Milanese army defeated the Florentines.

When in 1797 the French revolutionary forces invaded northern Italy, Barnaba Chiaramonti (later pope as Pius VII), then still Bishop of Imola, addressed his flock to refrain from useless resistance to the overwhelming and threatening forces of the enemy. The town of Lugo refused to submit to the invaders and was delivered up to a pillage which had an end only when the prelate, who had counselled subjection, supplicantly cast himself on his knees before General Augereau.

In 1859, through plebiscite, Lugo joined the newly born Kingdom of Italy. During World War II, the Senio river formed the frontline between the German and Allied occupation areas from December 1944 until 10 April 1945. The city suffered heavy destruction but recovered quickly after the end of the conflict.

On 19 January 1993 the area near Lugo experienced an unexplained explosion event with a yield estimated at 10 kilotonnes of TNT (42 TJ).

Main sights

  • Rocca Estense (Este Castle), the Town Hall from 1797. The current appearance dates from 1500, when the old fortress was rebuilt; the eastern side was erected during the Napoleonic occupation. The interior houses portraits of famous lughesi, a lunette attributed to Mino da Fiesole and a noteworthy 19th-century garden.
    Il Pavaglione
  • The Pavaglione, former 19th century covered market (mainly known for silkworm trade).
  • The Oratorio of Croce Coperta, with 15th-century frescoes.
  • The 'Collegiata' church, rebuilt in the 18th century over a 13th-century Franciscan edifice, has a suggestive 15th-century cloister.
  • San Francesco di Paola (1890), houses a precious polychrome terracotta sculpture of Dead Christ (15th century).
  • Teatro Rossini, now a 445-seat opera house, completely restored between 1984 and 1986 based on its original conception from 1759 and restoration and expansion in 1821.

Notable people

Twin towns

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.