World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Lambton, Toronto

Article Id: WHEBN0007385106
Reproduction Date:

Title: Lambton, Toronto  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: York, Toronto, The Kingsway, Rockcliffe–Smythe, Jane (TTC), Runnymede, Toronto
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Lambton, Toronto

Lambton
Neighbourhood
Lambton House Hotel on Old Dundas Street
Lambton House Hotel on Old Dundas Street
Vicinity of Lambton
Vicinity of Lambton
Lambton, Toronto is located in Toronto
Lambton, Toronto
Location within Toronto
Coordinates:
Country  Canada
Province  Ontario
City Toronto
Community Etobicoke-York
Settled 1845
Changed Municipality 1998 Toronto from York
Government
 • MP South of CPR:
Peggy Nash (Parkdale—High Park)
North of CPR:
Mike Sullivan (York South-Weston)
 • MPP South of CPR:
Cheri DiNovo (Parkdale—High Park)
North of CPR:
Laura Albanese (York South-Weston)
 • Councillor South of CPR:
Sarah Doucette (Ward 13)
North of CPR:
Frances Nunziata (Ward 11)

Lambton is a neighbourhood in the city of Toronto, situated on the east bank of the Humber River north and south of Dundas Street West. It is bounded on the north by Black Creek, on the east by Jane Street and on the south by St. Mark's Road. The area west of Gooch Road is also known as "Warren Park", the name of the housing sub-division built in the 1950s. The portion south of Dundas Street is within the 'Lambton Baby Point' neighbourhood as defined by the City of Toronto.

Contents

  • Character 1
  • History 2
  • Schools 3
  • Transportation 4
  • See also 5
  • External links 6

Character

The area's houses are primarily detached single-family dwellings. Apartment buildings exist along Dundas Street between the Humber and Gooch. A small number of storefronts are located along Dundas West west of Jane to Gooch Ave. A newly renovated library, Jane Dundas Branch, is located on the intersection of Jane and Dundas streets.

History

Aerial Photograph showing original Lambton Mills, 1937
Lambton Mills

The area bounded by Royal York Road to the west, the rail line to the north, Scarlett Road to the east and Queen Anne's Road to the south was known as Village of Lambton Mills. It was settled in the 1840s. The name was linked to the mills (grist, saw mills, woolen mills) that operated along the Humber River from 1850 to 1915. Originally called Cooper's Mills (c. 1806) after William Cooper's Grist and Saw Mill, it was renamed in 1838 in honour of John Lambton, 1st Earl of Durham (High Commissioner and Governor General of British North America, who visited to the area.

Besides the mills, Lambton Mills had its own church, school, and post office. The only remnant of Lambton Mills is the Lambton House on Old Dundas Street West, open part-time as a museum.

Later development

The area east of Gooch was developed in the early 20th century as part of the expanding York Township, a suburb by then of Toronto proper. The area west of Gooch was developed after the 1950s, with the area only being fully developed by the 1970s. It had been market gardens.

Schools

Warren Park Junior Public School is a public elementary school on Varsity Road, near the intersection of Scarlett Road and Dundas Street. It was built in 1930. It was named after John Warren who served as a Trustee for the York Township Board of Education starting in 1926. The original school consisted of 4 rooms and the first principal was Mr. W. A. Wragg. In September 1971, two rooms in the old section of the school were taken over for the newly created Warren Park Outdoor Education Centre.

Transportation

The area is served by the Jane bus from the Jane Street station on the Bloor-Danforth subway. The area is also served by the Lambton bus from High Park and Kipling station.

See also

External links

  • Lambton Baby Point neighbourhood profile
  • Lambton Woods Park
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.