World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Khashuri

Article Id: WHEBN0003915185
Reproduction Date:

Title: Khashuri  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Inter Glass, Borjomi (water), AH5, Naruja, Kornisi
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Khashuri

Khashuri (Khashuri Municipality administrative centre. It is located on Shida Kartli plain, on the Suramula riverside, 700 metre above sea-level.

Khashuri is first mentioned in a 1693 document. Modern Khashuri was founded in 1872 as a modest railway stop called "Mikhaylovo" after Grand Duke Michael Nikolaevich of Russia, Viceroy of the Caucasus. In 1917, it was renamed Khashuri. Granted city status in 1921, it was known as Stalinisi after Joseph Stalin from 1928 to 1934. In the 19th century after the leading Tbilisi-Poti main line, Khashuri gradually became a major transportation node. The railways and highways were heading towards Borjomi and Akhaltsikhe. It was declared a town in 1921. The population of the town is 28,500 (2006). There is a rail transport, glass container, food industry enterprises, educational and cultural institutions (public theater, museum of local lore). The 18th century tower, St. John and St. Marine's churches are preserved in the town. There is Urbnisi and Rusisi Diocese pulpit and residence in Khasuri.

External links

  • [1]
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.