World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Henry Farm

Article Id: WHEBN0001138152
Reproduction Date:

Title: Henry Farm  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Graydon Hall, Tam O'Shanter – Sullivan, Bayview Village, Don Valley North, George Stewart Henry
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Henry Farm

Henry Farm
Neighbourhood
Skyline of Henry Farm
Country  Canada
Province  Ontario
City Toronto
Settled 1806
Developed 1960s
Government
 • City Councillor Shelley Carroll
 • Federal M.P. Joe Daniel
 • Provincial M.P.P. Michael Coteau
Oriole Lodge is the oldest surviving building in the area

Henry Farm is a neighbourhood in the City of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is located in the north central part of the city within the former city of North York.

Henry Farm is bounded on the north by Sheppard Avenue East, on the east by Highway 404, on the south by Highway 401, and on the west by the Don River (East Branch). The Don Mills subway station and the Fairview Mall shopping centre are located just to the north east of the neighbourhood. Don Mills Road divides the Parkway Forest neighbourhood from the Henry Farm community to the west. It is served by the Henry Farm Community Interest Association.

Henry Farm was settled in 1806 by Henry Mulholland, a native of Premier of Ontario from 1930-34. Ten days before his death in 1958, Henry sold his farm for C$2 million to the developers of the present-day neighbourhood.[1] Henry's house, called Oriole Lodge, still stands as a private residence at 17 Manorpark Court.

Henry Farm was developed into a housing subdivision in the 1960s. Most of the neighbourhood consists of low density suburban housing. Along the northeast and southeast are townhouse developments. The latter are primarily social housing. There are also two high-rise apartment buildings, Havenbrook Towers, at the southeast corner.

There is one church, located at 80 George Henry Boulevard, which houses the St. Matthew the Apostle, Oriole Anglican Church of Canada congregation. The church was built in 1969 and dedicated on January 25, 1970. The site was shared with the Covenant United Church. Covenant United Church amalgamated with Donway United Church in 1992, and moved out of Henry Farm.

Henry Farm is home to Shaughnessy Public School of the Toronto District School Board.

Children who live in Henry Farm neighbourhood attend the following local schools:

  • Public elementary schools (Grades 1-8): Shaughnessy Public School,
  • Public elementary schools (Grades 1-6): Forest Manor Public School (in Parkway Forest),
  • Public junior high school (Grades 7-9): Woodbine Junior High School (in The Peanut)
  • Public high schools (Grades 9-12): George S. Henry Academy, The Peanut)
  • Catholic school: St. Timothy's Catholic School (in Don Valley Village).

The City of Toronto has officially designated the neighbourhood of Henry Farm to encompass a smaller neighbourhood, Parkway Forest, between Don Mills Road and Highway 404, which is covered in a separate article.

References

  1. ^ "George S. Henry, 87, Dies". The Toronto Daily Star (Toronto). 1958-09-03. p. 10. 

External links

  • Henry Farm at TorontoNeighbourhoods
  • City of Toronto neighbourhood profile
  • Henry Farms Community Interest Association

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.