World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Hammerschmidt Villa

Article Id: WHEBN0002487029
Reproduction Date:

Title: Hammerschmidt Villa  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Hammerschmidt, World Youth Day 2005, Bellevue Palace (Germany), Presidential palaces, President of Germany
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Hammerschmidt Villa

This article is about the primary official seat of the President of the Federal Republic of Germany during the years of the Cold War division of Germany. For the present-day primary official seat, see Schloss Bellevue.

Villa Hammerschmidt (2008)
Rear view of Villa Hammerschmidt

Villa Hammerschmidt is a villa located in the former West German capital of Bonn that served as the primary official seat and primary official residence of the President of the Federal Republic of Germany from 1950 until the government offices were returned to the reunified Berlin in 1994. President Richard von Weizsäcker made Schloss Bellevue in Berlin his primary official residence in 1994; since that time the Hammerschmidt Villa has served as a secondary official seat and secondary official residence for the President. In German, the Villa is also called the "White House of Bonn", because of its vague resemblance to the official residence of the President of the United States.

The villa is situated in the heart of the former government quarter of Bonn, bordering the river Rhine to the north and opposite the zoological Museum Koenig to the south. It is also adjacent to the secondary official seat and secondary official residence of the Chancellor, the Palais Schaumburg, to the west.

The upper floor of the building houses a private apartment for the German President, while the ground floor consists of state rooms which are used for ceremonial purposes.

Villa Hammerschmidt was built by August Dieckhoff in 1860 in Neo-classical style, as a stately home for a wealthy industrialist. It was redecorated in 1868 by the architect Otto Penner.

Since its construction Villa Hammerschmidt has been owned by:

External links

Media related to at Wikimedia Commons

  • Official website
  • Museum Koenig


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.