World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Fossombrone

Article Id: WHEBN0003044620
Reproduction Date:

Title: Fossombrone  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Ottaviano Petrucci, Carlo II Malatesta, Guidobaldo da Montefeltro, Isola del Piano, Sant'Ippolito
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Fossombrone

Fossombrone
Comune
Comune di Fossombrone
Coat of arms of Fossombrone
Coat of arms
Fossombrone is located in Italy
Fossombrone
Fossombrone
Location of Fossombrone in Italy
Coordinates:
Country Italy
Region Marche
Province Pesaro e Urbino (PU)
Frazioni Calmazzo, Ghilardino, Isola di Fano, Mont'Alto, San Lazzaro, Torricella, Bellaguardia, San Gervasio, San Martino dei muri, San Piero in Tambis, Santa Maria della valle
Government
 • Mayor Maurizio Pelagaggia
Area
 • Total 106 km2 (41 sq mi)
Elevation 118 m (387 ft)
Population (28 February 2009)
 • Total 9,835
 • Density 93/km2 (240/sq mi)
Demonym(s) Fossombronesi or Forsempronesi
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 61034
Dialing code 0721
Patron saint Saint Aldebrandus of Fossombrone
Saint day 1 May
Website Official website

Fossombrone is a town and comune in the province of Pesaro e Urbino (Marche, Italy).

Contents

  • History 1
  • Main sights 2
  • Sports 3
  • Twin towns 4
  • References 5

History

The ancient Roman colony of Forum Sempronii took its name from Gaius Sempronius Gracchus.

Near the Furlo Pass, during the Gothic War, was fought (552) the battle of Taginae, in which Totila was overcome by the Byzantine general, Narses.

Fossombrone was included in the Donation of Pippin, but remained subject to the Duchy of Spoleto until 1198, when it passed under Papal rule. The Malatesta sold it to the famous Federico III da Montefeltro, under whom the city flourished. Also positive for the city was the reign of the della Rovere dukes, who enlarged it (especially Francesco Maria II expanded the settlement in the lower area up to the Metauro river). In 1631 it returned to the Papal States, being annexed to Italy in 1860.

Main sights

The city and its environs abound in antiquities, especially inscriptions. Noteworthy remains are the statue of the god Vertumnus; the Furlo Pass, constructed by the Emperor Vespasian to shorten the passage of that mountain; and the bridge of Trajan (115) near Calmazzo, and the bridge now called Ponte della Concordia, originally built in 292 by Diocletian, both over the Metaurus.

Other points of interests include:

  • Sant'Agostino (14th century, enlarged in the 18th century). the church has a hut-like facade with the coat of arms of the House of Malatesta. The interior houses a canvas by Federico Zuccari.
  • Ducal Palace, attributed to Girolamo Genga, and built for Cardinal Giuliano della Rovere, brother of the Duke Guidobaldo II. Notable are the Renaissance court and the Cardinal's chapel.
  • The 16th century Corte Bassa, a residence of the Dukes of Urbino. The Corte Bassa is instead from the 13th century, and was later renewed under Federico da Montefeltro with a notable Renaissance façade and pavement. The duke Guidobaldo I soujourned here frequently, and also died here.
  • Palazzo Comunale (Town Hall, 16th century).
  • Palazzo Vescovile ("Bishop's Palace", built from 1479). It has a Renaissance façade with a portico and a Crucifixion fresco attributed to Bartolomeo di Gentile (1493).
  • The Cathedral was almost entirely rebuilt in Neoclassical-style by Cosimo Morelli in 1776–84, but has maintained some Renaissance works in the interior.
  • Ruins of the Rocca Malatestiana (13th to 15th centuries).
  • San Filippo -deconsecrated church with frescoes and paintings, now used for cultural events.

Sports

Twin towns

  • Entraigues-sur-la-Sorgue, France

References

  • Public Domain This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain
  •  This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.