World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Empoli

Article Id: WHEBN0001749483
Reproduction Date:

Title: Empoli  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Stadio Carlo Castellani, Pontormo, Salvatore Mastronunzio, Cerreto Guidi, Montespertoli
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Empoli

Empoli (Italian pronunciation: ) is a town and comune in Tuscany, Italy, about 20 kilometres (12 mi) southwest of Florence, to the south of the Arno in a plain formed by this river. The plain has been usable for agriculture since Roman times. The commune's territory becomes a hilly one as it departs from the river. Empoli is on the main railway line from Florence to Pisa, and is the point of divergence of a line to Siena. Empoli has an enduring tradition as an agricultural centre. It has given its name to a local variety of artichoke.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Main sights 2
  • Notable people 3
  • Sport 4
  • Twinnings 5
  • External links 6

History

Archaeological finds have revealed that Empoli was already settled in the early Roman Empire times, and continued to exist until the 4th century AD. The river acted as a communication way for the trade of agricultural products, together with the local amphorae. In the Tabula Peutingeriana of the 4th century Empoli is called in portu ("in the port") as a river port on the Roman road Via Quinctia, which led from Fiesole and Florence to Pisa. Empoli was also on the Via Salaiola, connecting to Volterra's salt ponds.

Since the 8th century Empoli consolidated as a town around the castle, known as Emporium or Empolis. In 1119 it was absorbed into the Guidi counts possessions. In 1182 it went under Florentine rule. In 1260, after the Battle of Montaperti, Empoli was the seat of a famous council in which Farinata degli Uberti opposed the destruction of Florence.

Later Empoli became an important fortress, and was therefore repeatedly sacked and attacked. In 1530 its fall marked the end of the independence of the Florentine Republic.

Main sights

  • The Piazza Farinata degli Uberti, also known as Piazza dei Leoni ("Lions Square"), is marked in its centre by a fountain by Luigi Pampaloni (1827). Here lies the Collegiata di Sant'Andrea, the main city's monument. The church probably existed as early as the 5th century AD, and is mentioned in papal bull of 1059. It was rebuilt in the 11th century by the pievano Rolando, by permission of the Countess Emilia dei Conti Guidi. At the mid of the following century a Romanesque arcaded façade was added: it was decorated with bi-chrome marble stones, in a style inspired by the basilica of San Miniato in Florence. The green stones were from Prato, the white ones are from Carrara: today the lower part of the original decoration remains. In 1735 the architect Ferdinando Ruggieri extensively modified the façade and the interior structure, including the ceiling. It houses noteworthy artworks including paintings by Francesco Botticini, a terracotta by Luca della Robbia, an altarpiece (1785) by Zanobi del Rosso and a triptych by Lorenzo di Bicci portraying the Madonna in Throne with Saints.
  • The Palazzo Ghibellino is the former palace of the Guidi counts. It was probably erected in the 11th century. In 1260 it was the seat of the Ghibelline parliament where the fate of the Florence's Guelphs was decided. In the 16th century the palace was restored, leaving little of the original structure, though.
  • The Palazzo Pretorio was the Town Hall in the Middle Ages. Currently it houses several activities, including an auditorium.

In the frazione (hamlet) of Pontorme is the house of the painter Pontormo.

Notable people

Sport

Empoli's main football/soccer team is Empoli F.C., which is currently playing in Serie A.

Twinnings

External links

Media related to at Wikimedia Commons

  • (Italian) Empoli official website
  • (Italian) Della Storia d'Empoli
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.