World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Collegio Clementino

Article Id: WHEBN0002203456
Reproduction Date:

Title: Collegio Clementino  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Chiprovtsi, Higher education in Italy, Palaces in Rome, 1595 establishments, Education in Rome
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Collegio Clementino

The Piazza Nicosia and Collegio Clementino (centre and right) in 1748. To the left is the Palazzo Aragona Gonzaga.

The Collegio Clementino is a palace in Rome, central Italy, sited between the Strada del'Orso and the banks of the Tiber. It was founded by Pope Clement VIII in 1595, to host Slavonian refugees. Giacomo della Porta was commissioned to erect a suitable building to house them, which would be one of the aged architect's last projects. On February 25, 1601, Urban VIII shifted the Slavs to Loreto and refounded the Collegio Clementino as an elite school for young noblemen of every nation and the richest families in Rome. The musical tradition of the Collegio Clementino remained strong: Alessandro Scarlatti wrote oratorios for Carnival seasons and came up from Naples to oversee their production [1].

Instruction "in all the sciences and the gentlemanly arts" according to a description of 1761, was entrusted to brothers of the Somaschi, a religious order of teaching brothers established during the Counter-Reformation, which had been authorized by Pope Pius V in 1568; they proved themselves expert in establishing seminaries. In the 17th and 18th century the Collegio Clementino produced numerous cardinals, including Domenico Silvio Passionei, and the mathematician Giulio Carlo de' Toschi di Fagnano.

Here Carlo Spinola and Domenico Quarteironi taught the young polymath and inventor, Raimondo di Sangro, prince of Sansevero[2].

External links

  • Collegio Clementino: described in a 1761 engraving by Giuseppe Vasi
  • La Storia dei Somaschi: (in Italian)

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.