World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Cathédrale Saint-Étienne de Limoges

Article Id: WHEBN0012869735
Reproduction Date:

Title: Cathédrale Saint-Étienne de Limoges  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Gothic architecture
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Cathédrale Saint-Étienne de Limoges

Limoges Cathedral (Cathédrale Saint-Étienne de Limoges) is a Roman Catholic cathedral, and a national monument of France, situated in Limoges. It is the seat of the Bishop of Limoges.

The construction of the Gothic cathedral began in 1273 and finished only in 1888 when the nave was connected to the belltower. It is noted for its Renaissance rood loft built in 1534 and for the fine, partly octagonal, bell tower.

The main artistic works in the cathedral are the Renaissance rood screen, now moved to the western end of the nave, and the tomb of the bishop Jean de Langeac, with sculpted scenes of the Apocalypse.

Architecture

Nave and choir, respectively, looking east, through a "folding out" lens that nearly flattens out the steep Gothic arches.

The cathedral contains two Renaissance works of great quality: a loft custom made by Bishop John Langeac, and the tomb of this bishop on which are carved scenes of the Apocalypse, inspired by Dürer.

The walls of Romanesque crypt have beautiful frescoes representing Christ in glory. Some medieval paintings are still visible in some chapels (including representatives of angelic musicians) but almost all are frescoes of the 19th century.

The Cathedral of Limoges has two organs. Hauptwerk, which was inaugurated by Gonzalez in 1963 and the Choir organ, installed in 1850.

Every summer, the association of the cathedral organizes organ concerts to highlight the major organs of this building.

Gallery

External links

  • Location

Coordinates: 45°49′44″N 1°16′0″E / 45.82889°N 1.26667°E / 45.82889; 1.26667

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.