World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Caferağa Medresseh

Article Id: WHEBN0012904737
Reproduction Date:

Title: Caferağa Medresseh  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Hagia Sophia, Madrasa, Mimar Sinan, Ottoman architecture
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Caferağa Medresseh

Caferağa Medresseh

Panoramic view of the courtyard of the Caferağa Medresseh

Basic information
Location Istanbul, Turkey
Geographic coordinates 41°00′35″N 28°58′44″E / 41.00964°N 28.97883°E / 41.00964; 28.97883Coordinates: 41°00′35″N 28°58′44″E / 41.00964°N 28.97883°E / 41.00964; 28.97883

Affiliation Islamic
Status Touristic center
Architectural description
Architect(s) Mimar Sinan
Architectural type Madrasah
Architectural style Islamic
Completed 1559;
 (1559)
Specifications

The Caferağa Medresseh (Turkish: Caferağa Medresesi) is a former medresseh, located in Istanbul, Turkey, next to the Hagia Sophia. It was built in 1559 by Mimar Sinan by orders of Cafer Agha, a eunuch during the reign of Sultan Süleyman the Magnificent (1520-1566). The medresseh, listed within the independent medressehs and having had a number of restorations until today, was changed by the Turkish Cultural Service Foundation in 1989 into a touristic centre with 15 classrooms/exhibition rooms, a big salon and a garden where traditional Turkish handicrafts such as calligraphy, ceramics, jewelry and so forth are taught, made and sold.

The medresseh is located very close to the Hagia Sophia, stairs lead down to it from the small street. The structure is entered through the main gate which leads into the inner courtyard, around which the former learning rooms are located. There is a restaurant inside that offers a variety of Turkish dishes.

References

External links


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.