World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bab a-Zahara

Article Id: WHEBN0024447908
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bab a-Zahara  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Givat Massuah, Zikhron Yosef, Ramat Sharett, Neve Granot, Rova Mevo Ha'ir
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bab a-Zahara

Salah a-Din Street in Bab a-Zahara

Bab a-Zahara Arabic: باب الساهرة‎ is an Arab neighborhood in East Jerusalem, north of the Old City. It is bordered by the American Colony to the north, Wadi al-Joz to the east, Herod's Gate and Damascus Gate on its south, and Mas'udiyyah, Mea Shearim to the west. Herod's Gate, which is called Bab a-Zahara (Gate of Flowers) in Arabic, lent its name to this neighborhood.[1]

The neighborhood was founded at the end of the 19th century along the road to Nablus and near the Garden of the Tomb (Hebrew: Gan HaKever), and was one of the first Arab neighborhoods built outside the Old City walls.[2] During the British Mandate in Palestine, and especially after the partition of Jerusalem in 1948, the neighborhood became a commercial center of East Jerusalem.

The main thoroughfares of the neighborhood, Nablus Road, Salah ad-Din Street (pictured at right), A-Zahara Street and surrounding streets are major commercial centers. Branches of the main banks and restaurants have offices there. The commercial areas forms a continuity through Damascus Gate with the open market in the Muslim Quarter of the Old City. In the eastern part of the neighborhood resides Rockefeller Museum of Archaeology, which was opened in 1937. Also on Salah a-Din Road are located the district court, the judiciary office, and the legal counsel for the government. Another famous building in this neighborhood is the Orient House.[2]

References

  1. ^ http://www.bible-history.com/links.php?cat=50&sub=4903&cat_name=Sites+-+Jerusalem&subcat_name=Jerusalem+Gates
  2. ^ a b http://www.jerusalem.muni.il/jer_sys/picture/atarim_form_atar_eng.asp?site_id=2235&pic_cat=4&icon_cat=6&york_cat=9&type_id=197
This article incorporates information from the עברית WorldHeritage.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.