World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Armenian Academy of Sciences

Article Id: WHEBN0025561922
Reproduction Date:

Title: Armenian Academy of Sciences  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Byurakan Observatory, Kirakos of Gandzak, Sparapet, Momik, Young Medics International Conference, Artashes Arakelian, Vanik Zakaryan, Patma-Banasirakan Handes, Gitavan, Sisak (eponym)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Armenian Academy of Sciences

Armenian Academy of Sciences
Building of the Armenian Academy of Sciences in Yerevan
Established November 29, 1943
Admin. staff 3700
Location Yerevan

The Armenian Academy of Sciences (Armenian: Հայաստանի Հանրապետության գիտությունների ազգային ակադեմիա) is the primary body that conducts research in and coordinates activities in the fields of science and social sciences in the Republic of Armenia. It was founded on November 29, 1943. The Academy of Sciences central location is in the capital of Armenia, Yerevan, although other branches exist in Gyumri, Sevan, Goris, Vanadzor and Ghapan.

The Academy of Sciences was founded by several Armenian intellectuals, including Joseph Orbeli, Stepan Malkhasyants, Ivan Gevorkian and Viktor Ambartsumyan; Orbeli became the first president of the academy.

From 1947-1993 the President of the Academy of Sciences was Professor Ambartsumyan, Full Member of the USSR and Armenian Academies of Sciences. During 1993-2006 the President of NAS was Academician Fadey Sargsian. Since 2006 the President of NAS RA is Academician Radik Martirosyan.

A branch based in Aragatsotn studies astronomy at the Byurakan Observatory.

See also

External links

  • Official website
  • Plasma Physics Laboratory of Institute of Applied Problems of Physics
  • International Scientific-Educational Center of National Academy of Sciences of Armenia

Coordinates: 40°11′30″N 44°30′31″E / 40.19167°N 44.50861°E / 40.19167; 44.50861

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.