World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Adana Archeological Museum

Article Id: WHEBN0027626822
Reproduction Date:

Title: Adana Archeological Museum  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Adana Province
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Adana Archeological Museum

Adana Archaeology Museum
Adana Arkeoloji Müzesi

Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character "[".px; border: none;">

Location within Turkey
Established 1924
Location Fuzuli Street, Adana, Turkey
Coordinates

36°59′30″N 35°19′53″E / 36.991667°N 35.331389°E / 36.991667; 35.331389

Type Archeological

Adana Archaeology Museum, (Turkish: Adana Arkeoloji Müzesi), located just west of the Sabancı Mosque in Adana, houses the historical heritage of Çukurova region. It is one of the oldest ten museums of Turkey.

History

The museum was established at the Police Department building just after the formation of the Republic in 1924. It initially started with the collection of the columns, column capitals and sarcophagi found in the vicinity of the building. Alyanakzade Halil Kamil Bey from Adana was appointed as the museum director and with his successful work, the accumulated material was moved in 1928 to the madrasah section of the no longer existing Cafer Pasha Mosque and then opened to the public.

The museum was moved to the building presently occupied by the Ethnography Museum at Kuruköprü in 1950. Material from the early ages of Çukurova which was discovered during the excavations carried out at Tarsus/Gözlükule (1934), Mersin/Yumuktepe (1936), Ceyhan/Sirkeli (1938) and Yüreğir/Misis(1958) in particular, was collected at the museum. The museum eventually was filled to the brim with the ethnographic material collected by the museum director Ali Rıza Yalman (Yalkın) during the investigations he carried out between 1933 – 1940, and as it was the only museum of the region with material obtained either through purchases or court decisions from a large area reaching from Kahramanmaraş to Gaziantep, the museum moved to its current premises on January 7, 1972.

The museum

At the museum entrance, there is a gate lion from the Hittite period and two Augustus statues from Silifke/Taşucu and Uzuncaburç. The exhibited material includes sarcophagi with rich garland decorations, jugs, catapult shots, inscriptions, altars and various architectural elements.

The ground floor is the hall of stone-cut artefacts. A marble sarcophagus depicting the Trojan wars in high relief is from Tarsus and is known as the Akhilleus sarcophagus. There is also a sarcophagus with a medusa from the antique city of Augusta which was submerged because of the Seyhan Dam Reservoir, and a human size bronze Karataş Statue from the Magarsus ancient city in Karataş, both of which are the most popularly viewed pieces of this hall.

At the Hall of Chronological Objects, a large variety of findings are exhibited from the very early ages to the Ottoman period, including offerings, pottery, oil lamps, gods, goddesses and animal figurines. The Mosaic of Orpheus Playing the Lyre, discovered at Tepebağ in Adana, is also in this hall.

At the Hall of Regional Objects, works from the Adana museum's own collection obtained from the excavations and through purchases are exhibited. Glass object samples with rich forms, Seljuk tiles and seals from various civilizations are also displayed.

At the Hall of Coins, Seals and Jewellery, starting with the Lydians, who were the first to mint coins, jewellery and buried treasures discovered in the districts of Adana are exhibited.[1]

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.