World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Principality of Auersperg

Article Id: WHEBN0001958012
Reproduction Date:

Title: Principality of Auersperg  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Pulszky, Apponyi, Kemény, Rákóczi, Károlyi
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Principality of Auersperg

Principality of Auersperg
Fürstentum Auersperg
State of the Holy Roman Empire


Coat of arms

Capital Tengen
Government Princely County
Historical era Early modern era
 •  To Habsburg Further Austria 1522
 •  Auersperg raised to princely status 17/18 September 1663
 •  Joined Council of Princes 1664
 •  Mediatised
to Baden

The House of Auersperg (Slovene: Auerspergi or Turjaški) is an Austrian noble family with its roots in Carniola (present-day Slovenia). Former ministeriales in the Holy Roman Empire and the Habsburg Monarchy. They rose to princely status in 1653 and were appointed Dukes of Münsterberg one year later. From 1663 the Princes of Auersperg also held immediate estates around Tengen (in modern Baden-Württemberg, Germany).


  • History 1
    • House of Auersperg 1.1
    • Principality 1.2
  • Princes of Auersperg (1653–present) 2
  • Other family members 3
  • Property 4
  • See also 5
  • External links 6


House of Auersperg

The former edelfrei family was first mentioned as Ursperch in an 1162 deed issued by Duke Herman II of Carinthia at his residence St. Veit. Their ancestral seat was Turjak Castle in the March of Carniola, according to an engraving on site built in 1067 by one Conrad of Auersperg. The family name may derive from Ursberg in Swabia, their ancestors probably settled in Lower Carniola after the victory of King Otto I of Germany over the Hungarian forces at the 955 Battle of Lechfeld. The Auersperg coat of arms originally displayed an aurochs (German: Auerochs(e) or Ur), they held large estates from Grosuplje in the north down to Velike Lašče and Ribnica, rivalling with the Meinhardiner counts of Görz, the Carinthian Ortenburg dynasty and the Patriarchs of Aquileia.

In the 13th century, the high noble line became extinct and was succeeded by a dynasty of ministeriales. Turjak Castle in the Duchy of Carniola was held by one Pankraz of Auersperg (1441–1496), married with Anne of Frankopan, his son Trojan (1495–1541) served at the Habsburg courts in Ljubljana and the Austrian capital Vienna as a Carniolan chamberlain and regent, Imperial Hofrat and commander during the Ottoman Siege of Vienna in 1529. Trojan's son Herbard VIII von Auersperg (1528–1575), called Hervard Turjaški in Slovene, was Carniolan Landeshauptmann and commander of the Croatian and Slavonian Military Frontier, he played a vital role as a patron of Primož Trubar, Jurij Dalmatin and the Protestant Reformation in the Slovene Lands. He received the noble rank of an Imperial Freiherren (Barons) in 1550, his descendants were elevated to Imperial Counts (Reichsgrafen) in 1630.


Count Johann Weikhard of Auersperg (1615–1677) from 1640 onwards served as a member of the Reichshofrat council, as an envoy of Emperor Ferdinand III in the negotiations preparing the 1648 Peace of Westphalia, and as a tutor to young King Ferdinand IV. Emperor Ferdinand III elevated him to a hereditary Prince of the Holy Roman Empire in 1653 and enfeoffed him with the Silesian Duchy of Münsterberg in the Lands of the Bohemian Crown the next year. In 1663 Johann Weikhard received in pawn the lands of the extinct Counts of Tengen (Thengen), a Habsburg possession in Further Austria since 1522, and reached Imperial immediacy as Gefürsteter Graf with a seat in the Imperial Diet the next year.

The Duchy of Münsterberg was conquered by Prussia in the course of the First Silesian War with Austria in 1742, nevertheless the Auerspergs at first could retain their possessions as a Silesian state country. In 1791 Charles Joseph of Auersperg finally sold Münsterberg to King Frederick William II of Prussia. The Auersperg territory at Tengen upon the dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire in 1806 was mediatised to the Grand Duchy of Baden.

Princes of Auersperg (1653–present)

Coat of arms of the Princes of Auersperg
  1. Johann Weikhard (1653–77), Count of Auersperg, Duke of Silesia-Münsterberg
  2. Johann Ferdinand (1677–1705), Duke of Silesia-Münsterberg
  3. Franz Karl (1705–13), Duke of Silesia-Münsterberg
  4. Heinrich Joseph Johann (1713–83), the 4th Fürst von Auersperg, Duke of Silesia-Münsterberg
  5. Karl Josef (1783–1800), Duke of Silesia-Münsterberg, Duke of Gottschee from 1791
  6. Wilhelm I (1800–06), Duke of Gottschee
  7. Wilhelm II (1815–1827), Duke of Gottschee
  8. Karl Wilhelm Philipp (1827–1890), the 8th prince of Auersperg, Minister-President of Austria 1867-68
  9. Karl (1890–1927)
  10. Karl Adolf (1927–2006), Duke of Gottschee, Princely Count of Wels;
  11. Adolf (*1937) Duke of Gottschee, Princely Count of Wels

Other family members


Turjak Castle and all the other Slovenian property was seized by the government of Yugoslavia in 1946. It has never been returned to the head of the family. Other branches however still own property in Austria and Southern Tyrol (Italy):

See also

External links

  • Website of Ernegg Castle, Lower Austria
  • European Heraldry page

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.